Tips for Cutting Down Energy Consumption
Owning a home can be expensive, between mortgage payments and utility bills. But there are ways you can save money on your gas and electricity bills, all while conserving energy and helping the environment.
And the great news is that it doesn’t have to be difficult! Here are some great ways you can cut down on your energy consumption.
- Have your heating and cooling systems serviced annually or bi-annually. This will help them perform efficiently!
- Consider geothermal energy
- Try to use your heating/cooling system only for the parts of your home that you use the most
- Use ceiling fans to improve circulation or cool you down on days that aren’t as hot
- Also on cooler days and overnight, open your windows to get some cool air inside
- Buy Energy Star products
- Take advantage of the natural light in your house and don’t turn lights on during the day
- Turn your heating/cooling system up/down one or two degrees–this can save you up to 10% on your energy bill!
- Unplug unnecessary appliances or electronic devices when you’re not using them; unplug cellphone chargers when you’ve finished charging
- Clean the lint screen in your dryer after every use
- Only wash full loads of laundry
- Hang your clothes on a clothesline in the summer or air dry instead of using a dryer
What other ways do you cut down on your energy consumption?