Updates to the Canada Greener Homes Initiative: Including Interest-Free Loans!
Adding energy-efficient upgrades to your home recently became easier for Canadians. You may have already heard about the Canada Greener Homes Initiative (GHI), but did you know that as of June 2022 it now includes interest-free loans of up to $40,000 per household to help finance eligible retrofits?
Now is a great time to consider upgrading the HVAC system in your home with the help of this initiative. At Bryan’s Fuel, we can help you take advantage of this opportunity! Reach out to our team for a no-obligation quote or more information on qualifying air source and ground source heat pumps.
Are you interested in lessening the stress and financial strain of going green? If so, keep reading!
What is the Canada Greener Homes Initiative (GHI)?
This initiative offered by the Government of Canada is an opportunity for you to invest in upgrading your home. Eligible energy-efficient retrofits will make your home more comfortable and help to reduce your monthly energy costs. As part of the initiative, you have access to:
- Grants from $125 to $5,000 to receive a portion of your costs back for eligible home retrofits
- Up to $600 towards the total costs of your pre and post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluations
- 10-year interest-free loan of up to $40,000
As of September, 2022 eligibility has expanded to homeowners who have already received a grant or requested a post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation. If you still have remaining eligible retrofits that you are interested in, you may want to consider applying for this loan.
What are the benefits of retrofitting?
If you apply for the GHI program you will reap the benefits of:
- Reducing your energy costs over time
- Keeping your home comfortable year-round
- Decreasing your carbon footprint
- Help to improve your air quality
What types of retrofits are eligible?
The grant or loan can be used to finance the purchase of eligible energy-efficiency products and installations. These include:
- Home insulation
- Windows and doors
- Heating– on eligible Air Source and ground source heat pumps
- Renewable energy
- Resiliency measures
- Small Multi-unit residential buildings (MURBs)
Fun Fact: So far, heat pumps are the top retrofit for the grant. Almost 3,200 Canadian homeowners have received $13.2 million in grants for installing heat pumps in their homes. That’s impressive… Source: www.nrcan.gc.ca
The Canada Green Homes Initiative application is simple
Applying for the GHI is easy – just click here to get started. Fill out an online application form with some basic information about your home and what kind of renovations you would like to do, and follow the steps outlined below.
GHI application steps:
- Apply and have the application approved by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- Complete a pre-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation
- Complete a retrofit that is eligible and recommended in the Renovation Upgrade Report
- Purchase equipment/products from the approved product list provided by NRCan
- Have equipment/product installed by a licensed professional
- Complete post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation
Make sure to check your eligibility before you begin the process!
If you have already completed your grant process through the Canada Greener Homes Initiative, visit the Greener Homes portal to start your loan process.
Remember, you don’t have to do it all at once. If making significant renovations all at once isn’t possible or practical for you, don’t worry – you can still take part in the GHI! Smaller upgrades can also make a difference in saving money and reducing your environmental impact.
If you’re thinking about making some energy-efficiency upgrades but don’t know where to start, contact us today. Our team will provide more information on the eligible upgrades you can make in your home with help from the Canada Greener Homes Initiative.